Tuesday 1 June 2010

So what?

Monday, May 31st 2010

Today we had our first class with a new Spanish "Profesora." After four hours together I decided I could begin to compare this new teacher to those of my past weeks.  I've noticed that the classes at CPI are organized by a detailed curriculum plan.  By following this closely, however, our classes became what I would call "Fill-in-the-Blank" lessons.  A question would be asked and a response expected which followed a simple format. It was simply necessary to conjugate the correct verb, insert it, and respond.  This was very similar to our tarea, or homework, which also asked us to fill in the blank.  Very simple.  Quick to complete and quick to check over the following class.  Unfortunately, it was lacking any real need for comprehension.  So, in the grand picture, did it really benefit me?  Not so much.  I found these cookie cutter phrases didn't really benefit me in "real life", for example, with my Tico family, or for my project.  What did help me during these past weeks were the conversations.  Usually we began with a question presented by a student and what followed was a struggle which ultimately was of benefit to me.  In these situations I had to use what I'd learned in a REAL way, so that i could contribute to a discussion.  Throughout these discussions, our "Profesora" would connect or revise a sentence but kept the discussion going.  In addition to setence structure, I was able to pick up new and meaningful vocabulary. What this did for me was make my learning authentic, real, and, as I said before, meaningful. The question I need to ask myself now is: So what? I have new perspectives on attempting to learn a  language, immersion style, but how can I use this?  

What I see most clearly at the moment is that learning has to be authentic.  It makes no sense for me to learn the Spanish vocabulary, for instance, about parts of a car because I know little about cars in English.  But for a mechanic (or son/daughter of a mechanic) this information would be beneficial because it is meaningful.  As I've learned through review of constructivism, knowledge cannot simply be poured into a child's mind.  There must be a connect made by doing or observing.  This strategy remains true for language learners.  It is imperative to provide context and allow connections if vocabulary or a language concept is truly to be understood.  

Another important idea is that a partner student, or students, could be the key to progression for a second language learner.  Peer discussion and exchange of ideas can encourage use of language in students.  I mentioned in a prior blog the idea of Jigsaw, where students acquire and then share information. In addition to Jigsaw, I think class conversations would be a useful strategy.  For an ESL student, it would probably be best if these were medium to small sized groups so that each students need (or expectation) to input is greater. After a science experiment or social studies lesson, students should discuss the results or ideas in a group. This is mediated by a teacher who, similar to our Spanish "Profesora" would add or remind students of vocabulary to be used during their talk.  Organized examples of such discussions would be the Cat & Fish discussion or Inner Circle/ Outer Circle discussion.  Both of these formats allow for thinking time and even written organization of ideas before students are expected to discuss.  For an ESL student this time to sort through ideas can help build the confidence to talk during the discussion.  I have seen this organization of ideas work in my own learning.  When I'm allowed time to think through and sketch out a sentence before responding I am much more confident in what I have to say.  
In both Cat & Fish and Inner/Outer Circle discussions one group of students sits facing each other and takes turns asking each other questions, submitting answers, and providing ideas.  In Inner/Outer Circle the other group would sit with their backs to the first group in an outer circle, staying silent but recording their ideas on a clipboard for use when it is their turn to discuss.  Similarly, in Cat and Fish the students in the second group (or Cats) stand behind the first group (or fish) listening as the Fish discuss.  In this case the Fish are given a number of some sort of token to be turned in when they contribute to the conversation.  This requires a certain number of comments by all students.  In both conversation formats, groups 1 and 2 are given chances to be on the outside, taking notes for further discussion.  The exercises end with a large group discussion where any additional ideas or questions can be proposed.  These formats provide a secure, organized place for discussion, similar to what we have been experiencing in (some) of our Spanish classes.
Most importantly in the discussions described above, and in all discussions, the teacher should be constantly monitoring and assisting with appropriate vocabulary.  This will show real use for the new words and for all students, including the ESL, and is a real improvement on "Fill-in-the-Blank" type lessons.  Best of all, this vocabulary and conversational lesson is integrated into another subject, not a worksheet or afterthought.

No comments:

Post a Comment